NON-FOOTBALL STORIES 1935
While looking through old documents, it is almost inevitable that the reader's attention will be drawn from the intended target to other articles. The reports below were found in old Scotsman newspapers. Although they have no football content, they may be of interest.
CLUB FOR GIRLS IN DISTRESSED AREAS
116 George Street
19 October 1935
The Commissioner for Special Areas in Scotland has committed to this Association the task of opening or developing clubs for girls in the Special Areas of Ardrossan and Stevenston and Motherwell and Cumbernauld. We ask, of your courtesy, to be allowed to appeal to the public for furnishings and office equipment. Our immediate need is for typewriters, pianos, gramophones and records, tables, chairs, kitchen equipment and materials for handicrafts, keep fit and drama class work. On receipt of a postcard at the above address, arrangements will be gratefully made for the transport of gifts.
I am et cetera
Ursula M Dods, Chairman
The Scotsman, 21 October 1935
WINDOW IN ARDROSSAN CHURCH
A memorial window in remembrance of the mother and sisters of Mr M T Black, Harrogate, has been dedicated in Saint John’s Church, Ardrossan (shown below in 1913). The donor is Mr M T Black, son of the Reverend David Black, formerly minister at Tillicoultry and those commemorated in the window were for many years members of Saint John’s. The window, entitled Jesus In The House Of Martha And Mary, has been designed and executed by Mr Walter J R Cook, D A (Edinburgh) who recently supplied the Haig windows for the Scots Kirk, Aldershot. It was dedicated by the Reverend Dr Adamson, minister of Saint John’s.
The Scotsman, 21 November 1935, page 15
In recognition of his services to the town and district for over fifty years, Dr John Macdonald, Ardrossan, was presented with a public testimonial at a gathering in the Town Hall last night. Provost Hopperton presided and the Reverend Dr R M Adamson handed over the gift – a silver salver and a wallet containing £100 in notes and a wristlet watch for Mrs Macdonald. A complimentary dinner was afterwards held in the Eglinton Hotel. Dr Macdonald was formerly a Rangers Football Club player and the Club was represented at the gathering.
The Scotsman, 21 December 1935
Dr Macdonald died in Troon on 11 December 1944 aged eighty-one years. His son, Eric Macdonald, was also a doctor who had a surgery in Anderson Terrace, Ardrossan, around the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. His medical partner was Dr Henry Duff.