LOCATION OF CLUTHA PARK IN WHAT IS NOW YOUNG STREET. THIS IS THE SITE OF THE
FIRST FORMAL FOOTBALL MATCH PLAYED IN ARDROSSAN ON 17 SEPTEMBER 1870.
5 August 2014
The first formal football match in Ardrossan was played on 17 September 1870 at Clutha Park, a field between Glasgow Street and Paisley Street, now the site of the houses above right in Young Street. The game was mentioned in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald of that date. The home team was Ardrossan Castle Football Club. Ardrossan Football Club and Ardrossan Seafield Football Club used Clutha Park for home games between 1874 and the early 1880s. In the late 1880s, Seafield's home ground was Seafield Park.